Surrounded by a vast mountain panorama and situated on the shores of Lake Hallstatt, Bad Goisern charms its visitors with its historic village centre, pretty houses decorated with flowers, beautiful landscape and many attractive squares. “Goisern“, thanks to its good infrastructure, is a popular holiday destination for those seeking rest and relaxation. Goisern is a popular health/spa resort and is an ideal base for exploring the natural surroundings of the UNESCO World Heritage Region. Other attractions include the traditional artists’ studio (Hand.Werk.Haus) as well as the numerous cultural and musical events which take place throughout the year.
- The World Heritage Community Bad Goisern has 7590 inhabitants, is situated on the northern shore of Lake Hallstatt and covers an area of 8.55 square kilometres.
- Services and facilities include 4 railway stations (Bad Goisern-Jodschwefelbad, Bad Goisern, Steeg-Gosau, Obersee)
- The traditional “Goiserer” (male inhabitant of Goisern) dresses in a short green jacket, hard-wearing shoes manufactured in Goisern, a hat with a tuft of chamoix hair, mountain boots, leather trousers, a checked shirt, a gilet, and carries walking poles and wood cutting tools
- A typical “Goiserin” (female inhabitant of Goisern) wears a dirndl dress or a skirt with apron
In the past
- A document dating back to the 13th century refers to a settlement called “Gebisharn” - today Bad Goisern. The old word “Gebsern” means “wooden dish manufacturer” and reminds us today of the time-honoured wood working tradition
- Violins were being manufactures in Bad Goisern as far back as 1735, and the area is still renowned for violin and accordion music today
- The Goiserer Bergschuh (Goisern Walking Boot), the “sturdy shoe”, has been made to measure here since the 19th century
- Goisern is a popular spa/health resort. The fluoride-containing sulphur healing sources were discovered by chance in 1931 whilst drilling for salt
- Start and finish of the Salzkammergut Mountainbike
Tip for Bad Goisern visitors
Try our delicious, local cuisine (such as “Holzknechtnockn” – wood workers’ dumplings – mountain chamoix or char after a long summer’s day out touring by mountain bike or E bike, or after a day out skiing in winter.
Experience a historical tour through Bad Goisern at Lake Hallstatt. Get an insight into the crafts, the buildings and monuments. Simply pick up at the Bad Goisern tourist office (€ 5.00).