The „Dachstein Alps Trophy“
14th to 21st January 2017
Their brightly coloured hot air balloons look magnificent as they take to the crystal clear, winter skies. Each day, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., more than 30 teams from 10 different nations will put their skills to the test. Competitions include air racing, distance trials and precision landing. Travel routes are exciting too as the winter winds travel across the Dachstein mountain range as far as the Adriatic.
The balloons are „fired up“ on Friday 22th January. A huge event gets underway at 6:00 p.m. at the Hornspitz/Mittertal. The brightly lit hot air balloons float majestically in the night sky whilst the party gets underway. There is also a magnificent fireworks display.
Gosau‘s Landhaus Koller Inn will also play a major role in the celebrations. Gottfried Koller, initiator and organiser of the event, will be proud to welcome everyone once again. His team have provided accommodation for the balloonists as well as a top quality service, advice and support throughout the last 24 years.
Highlights from previous years include:
- 30 teams take part each year and travel 5000 km. On this special anniversary, the 100 000 km mark will be reached.
- The most southerly point reached so far has been Udine in Italy. It took just 2.5 hours to cover the 220 km.
- The most westerly point reached so far is Hohenems in Vorarlberg. The 295 km hot air balloon trip was completed in 3 hours 20 minutes.
- Thanks to the „Hot Air Balloon Week“, there have been around 28 0000 overnights stays booked in the last few years.
- Many hot air balloon events take place each year in January as weather and thermal conditions are most favourable across the main ridge of the Alps at this time.
- Felix Baumgartner made the first jump from a hot air balloon, as part of the Dachstein Alpine Trophy, in 2003.
Pamela Binder, Director of the Dachstein Salzkammergut Tourist Authorities, is proud of the Dachstein Alpine Trophy in Gosau which has developed as a niche product and rounds off the programme of events for tourists in January.