Horse drawn sledge ride (Kopie 1)
Horse-drawn carriages are scarcely used nowadays in day to day life as a means of transport, but a horse-drawn sleigh ride is considered a real pleasure in winter. The snorting horses trot along at a comfortable pace and you will enjoy hearing the snow crunching beneath you as well as the jangling of the bells. Time seems to stand still when you are enjoying the peace and tranquility of the Salzkammergut on a sunny winter’s day.
Horse-drawn sleigh rides are available in Gosau in the evenings too. There is nothing lovelier than being wrapped in warm blankets, beneath the stars, and being carried along the banks of the river in a sleigh. Our destination is the Kohlstatthütte (traditional catered hut) where we will be welcomed with a hearty, home-cooked snack.
Horse-drawn sleigh rides in Gosau
Explore towns and cities by taxi and Gosau by horse-drawn sleigh. A horse-drawn sleigh ride can be booked at Tourist Information in Gosau, even at short notice. Your splendid carriage will await you in as little as half an hour!
Horse-drawn sleigh rides from Gosau Mittertal to Hintertal with a guided tour of the local museum are popular with groups. Advance booking required.
There are two options available:
- Option 1: Tour of the local museum followed by horse-drawn sleigh ride. Costs 17 Euros per person.
- Option 2: Tour of the local museum followed by a light snack including tea with rum and Krapfen (traditional cake). Horse-drawn sleigh ride afterwards. Costs 24 Euros per person.
Horse-Drawn Sledge Rides – By Night
Enjoy a romantic horse-drawn sledge ride through the Gosau Valley on a winter’s evening.
Romantic evening hores-drawn sledge rides begin at 6.00 p.m. and depart from Tourist Information in Gosau. Winter has so many magical charms. Even if its is snowing or bitterly cold, you can snuggle up under warm blankets and enjoy the sounds of the bells jangling round the horses‘ necks as we travel through Gosau’s idyllic winter wonderland.
We make a stop in the magical woodland, and in the midst of all the snow flakes and ice crystals, take a sip of home-made schnaps, which provides us with a little extra warmth! About half an hour later we reach the Kohlstatthütte. This is a traditional, rustic hut where people of all ages meet for ice curling competitions or one of the horse-drawn sledge rides. Warm up by the roaring fire and enjoy some tea. The cold night is soon forgotten when you are served a delicious, traditional meal.
The journey home is also great fun, and just as romantic!
Horse –drawn sleigh rides by night for groups
This extra special experience for groups of 5 persons or more can be booked through Tourist Information in Gosau (Tel: +43 5 9509520). Cost is 25 Euros per person to include horse-drawn sleigh ride with stop-off at the hut for a „fry up“ meal, typical of the region.
Horse-drawn sleigh rides for smaller groups and families can also be booked directly through the
Coachmen in Gosau:
- "Schneider Klaus", Laimer Klaus, 4824 Gosau, Tel.: +43 6136 8478
- "Triamer", Roth Johann, 4824 Gosau, Tel.: +43 6136 8291
- "Pfandl", Gamsjäger, 4824 Gosau, Tel.: +43 6136 8267
- "Beriga", Posch Franz, 4824 Gosau, Tel.: +43 6136 8403
- "Leutgeb", Gamsjäger Josef, 4824 Gosau, Tel.: +43 699 11585898
Coachmen in Bad Goisern:
- Franz Schilcher, Unterjoch 2, 4822 Bad Goisern, Tel.: +43 6135 6406 oder +43 664 5312615
- Grill Alois, St. Agatha 7, 4822 Bad Goisern, Tel.: +43 664 2335574
The cost of a horse-drawn sleigh ride varies between 11 and 13 Euros per person, depending on duration.