The loveliest mountain tours in the Dachstein hiking area
In the summer months it takes about an hour and a half to walk around this mountain lake. The trail along the eastern shore of nearby Lake Hallstatt is also lovely. It takes around three hours to walk from Obertraun along the shore of this fjord-like lake to Bad Goisern.
For those seeking something a little more challenging in the Bad Goisern area, there is a lovely high mountain pasture walk at approx. 1000 m above sea level to the „Hütteneck“ mountain hut. In full view of the almost „three thousander“, the trail passes through areas of high mountain pasture with rustic wooden huts and via the stone quarry to the alpine catered hut. From the Krippenstein plateau it seems you could reach out and touch the Dachstein glacier, and all along the Heilbronn Circular Trail there are unimaginable views of snow capped mountains. It takes three to four hours to complete this trail which is one of the most beautiful and highest situated hiking paths in the Dachstein region.
An example of the unique characteristics of the mountains of the Salzkammergut is the „Indian“ on the Kalmberg. You can hike up to the „Indian“ from either Bad Goisern or Gosau via the Goisern Hut or the Iglmoosalm. He gazes down over the Goisern Valley, and it is well worth stopping off for a while to admire this amazing rock formation. Austria is a popular destination for walking holidays, and hiking against the back drop of the Dachstein will ensure you take home some very special memories.
Last but not least, here are our Top 10 loveliest and most popular hiking trails in the Inner Salzkammergut:
- Saline Pipeline Trail from Hallstatt via Bad Goisern to Bad Ischl
- Dachstein Circualr Trail – an 8 day tour around the Dachstein
- Tour trough the Löckernmoos
- Koppenvalley Trail
- Heilbronn Circular Trail – on the Krippenstein Plateau
- Goisern Hut – start your walk from either Gosau or Bad Goisern
- Gosau Lake – Circular walk around this stunning mountain lake
- Sarstein – Traverse from Bad Goisern to Obertraun
- Eastern Shore Trail – from Obertraun to Bad Goisern
- Trail "Herrenweg" - from Gosau to the Zwieselalm
Information about the hiking area
The region in 360°
To the Dachstein Salzkammergut panorama tour