Beginners must ensure that they are accompanied by a professional in this field of sport which is sometimes referred to as mixed climbing. Exploring our frozen landscape is a real adventure for those who have completed a beginners‘ course in ice climbing or are in the capable hands of an experienced guide.
There are other things to take into consideration too. These beautiful frozen waterfalls are often situated in avalanche run-out zones, therefore it is much safer to go climbing when there is less snow. An avalanche beacon is, of course, an essential item for all ice climbers!
It is useful to gain experience walking on the sheet ice of a river bed before beginning a steep ascent. The Simple Bach in Steeg, a neighbourhood just before Bad Goisern, is popular for this reason. This waterfall is not for the complete novice, however, and you must be accompanied by an experienced climber. The climbing passages up to the exit by the "water castle" must be undertaken with caution, and there is a danger of avalanches in this area too.
Many have discovered the pleasure of ice climbing for themselves and travel through Austria in search of the most beautiful frozen waterfalls.
More frozen waterfalls
- Adamek Hut, 2196 m, Gosau. The Adamek Hut, w ith i ts c lose p roximity to the Gosau glacier, offers excellent training facilities all year round. There are crevasses up to 20 metres deep, and opportunities for adventure are limitless. Tel +43 (0)664 5473481, www.adamek.at
- Alpinex, Gosau, Start: Approx. 1 km from the Gosaumühle when heading towards
Gosau. Several small waterfalls. The highest is 15 m/90°
- Bergzentrum Simony Hut, 2205m, Hallstatt glacier., Tel +43 (0)680 2196374, www.simonyhuette.com
- “Hägar der Schreckliche”, Obertraun. Start: Dachstein-Krippensteinbahn cable car valley station. 40 minutes’ walk to the base. 170 m/75-85°
- Idefix, Asterix, Obelix, Bad Goisern, Kalmberg. Access: behind the Kalmberg ski, jump to the left. Descent: abseilin. Idefix: 30 m / 75°, Asterix: 60 m / 75–80°, Obelix: 70 m / 75–80°.
- Little Prince and Princess, Bad Goisern, K almberg, S tart: C ar p ark a bove the electricity sub - station., Prince: 20m/75°; Princess: 30m/75-80°
- Mordillo, Gosau. A pprox 1km to the start: Gosaumühle h eading towards Gosau. 55m/90°
- Mühlbach, Hallstatt, Start: Middle vehicle tunnel. 2 stages; 1st stage: 15m/70-80°; 2nd stage 45m/80-90°
- Schleierfall, Hallstatt, Start: Echerntal, valley end; 240m/70-90°
- simple Bach, Bad Goisern, Kalmberg, Start: Steeg Bridge (100m to the right of the water pipes). 5 stages (you can stop after each stage). From 90-30m/60-85°
Alpin schools & experienced climbers:
For all those who want to go higher and also sometimes to their limits. We would like to share with you Outdoor Leadership's many years of extensive touring experience all over the world. Whether you want to climb a special mountain, a big wall,...
We are ski and mountain guides of the "New Generation" Trained to the latest knowledge, and state-of-the-art safety standards, at the highest level, the Austrian and international mountain and ski instructor training.Due to the modern training, we...