The World Heritage Village Obertraun is small but beautiful. It is situated on the shores of Lake Hallstatt and surrounded by unspoilt nature. The village is located in a valley along the mouth of the River Traun, and is surrounded by high mountains. The most striking feature of the area is the Dachstein Krippenstein (2 100 metres) which stands guard over the valley and is a paradise for outdoor activities. From Obertraun you can quickly and easily reach the Dachstein Caves and walk around beautiful, magical, energy-giving locations such as the Lake Koppenwinkel or the Koppenbrüller Cave. Also, it is only a short distance to the cooling waters of the lake and to the ski resort!
- Obertraun has a population of 745 and borders directly on to the south-eastern shore of Lake Hallstatt. The settlement is located at an altitude of 533 metres, and behind it towers the Krippenstein (2 100m)
- Attractions include: boat landings for trips on Lake Hallstatt, cycle hire and the Krippenstein cable car
To this day
- St Nicholas crosses the lake each December to Obertraun in a special boat known as a “Fua”
- The heraldic animal of Obertraun is the bear in remembrance of the skeletal finds of a cave bear from the early Stone Age
In the past
- Many woodworkers lived in Obertraun, and felled trees to build the Brew house in Hallstatt. The River Traun and Lake Hallstatt provided “drift water” for timber transportation
- The corridors of the Dachstein Caves were once formed by an underground river. Due to ice and climate changes, gigantic caverns have been formed in the mountain.
- The Dachstein KrippensteinFreesports Arena is an Eldorado for the free rider community
- A very popular attraction is the eleven kilometre long ski run with a difference in height of 1500 m.
- The Lake Koppenwinkel – a magical place said to have energy-giving powers
Tip for Obertraun visitors
When exploring the mountains of Obertraun we recommend that you take part in the guided sunrise trips by cable car to the summit of the Dachstein Krippenstein. These are available July to October and a magical atmosphere is guaranteed!
Experience the Holiday Region Dachstein Salzkammergut
Enjoy the summer in our four villages. Let yourself be enchanted by themountain and lake scenery. (E-)mountain bike routes, gravel bike routes, hiking trails are just waiting to be tackled by you. Take a break in our huts & mountain pastures. Enjoy the cheese noodles and the Kaiserschmarrn. Then cool off in Lake Hallstatt or Lake Gosau. Immerse yourself in tradition and customs and visit the numerous events in the region. Experience culture and history at the excursion destinations. A holiday in the Inner Salzkammergut - a holiday just as you imagine it.
What can I do in summer in Obertraun?
Obertraun is located directly onLake Hallstatt and at the foot of the Dachstein Krippenstein adventure mountain. In summer there are numerous hiking trails and cycling tours as well as a large beach resort with a playground for children outside and also in the water. An excursion on the Dachstein Krippenstein is not only worthwhile for hikers, but also for cave enthusiasts (Dachstein Giant Ice Cave and Mammoth Cave) and fans of beautiful views like from the 5fingers viewing platform.
What can I do in winter in Obertraun?
In winter, Obertraun offers in the valley and in the Dachstein Krippenstein cross-country ski runs, winter hiking trails and a ski area on the Dachstein Krippenstein. The Freesports Arena Dachstein Krippenstein convinces with a very long valley run, freeride routes, winter hiking trails to the 5fingers viewing platform, ski tours and a cross-country ski run. From the Dachstein Krippenstein you can also start the Dachstein crossing.
How long do I need from Obertraun to Hallstatt?
From Obertraun to Hallstatt it takes about 10 minutes by bus, about 15 minutes by train and boat and about 6 minutes by car. Timetables for public transport can be found on www.wegfinder.at
When is the last bus to Hallstatt and back to Obertraun?
You can find the timetable on www.wegfinder.at.
Where can I buy a bus ticket?
The bus ticket is available directly from the driver on the bus. Please take change with you.
Can I take a taxi from Hallstatt train station?
Hallstatt railway station is located on the eastern shore of Lake Hallstatt and can only be reached on foot or by boat. It takes about 40 minutes on foot to Obertraun, from where you can take a taxi to Hallstatt. We recommend that you take a boat to the centre of Hallstatt.
How long do I need from Obertraun to Salzburg?
From Obertraun it takes about 2.5 hours by bus to Salzburg, 2.5 hours by train to Bad Ischl, 2.5 hours by bus to Salzburg (www.wegfinder.at) and about 1.5 hours by car.
FAQs to the Dachstein Krippenstein experience
Which caves are there in Obertraun?
On the way to the Dachstein Krippenstein there are two caves which are accessible for visitors. The Dachstein Giant Ice Cave and the Mammoth Cave. Both can be reached by a short cable car ride to the "Schönbergalm" and an approx. 20-minute hike to the respective entrance of the cave.
The Koppenbrueller Cave is located in the valley at the end of Obertraun. The cave can be reached on foot along a forest path.
To visit all three caves you have to register at the cave ticket office (for individuals and groups up to 20 persons).
How long is the recommended length of stay at Dachstein Krippenstein in Obertraun?
A visit to the 5fingers viewing platformtakes at least 2.5 hours. The gondola ride takes about 20 minutes, then you need about 30 minutes to get to the 5fingers. In winter you can reach the 5fingers with snowshoes.
How long do I need to get to the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave?
For the visit of the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave incl. a small break you should plan approx. 2 hours. With the Dachstein Krippenstein cable car you can take the 1st section to the Schönbergalm in about 5 minutes. Then you walk on a short hiking trail to the entrance of the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave (approx. 20 minutes).
How long does a guided tour in the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave take?
A guided tour lasts about 50 minutes. The guided tour starts at the entrance of the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave. Please allow 15 to 20 minutes to walk on a partly asphalted path to the cave. We recommend sturdy shoes. The tour takes you along an 800 m long path with a height difference of approx. 80 m through steps.
How long do I need to get to the Mammoth Cave?
For the visit of the Mammoth Cave, incl. a small break, you should plan approx. 2 hours. With the Dachstein Krippenstein cable car you can take the 1st section to the "Schönbergalm" in about 5 minutes. Then you go on a short hiking trail (gravel path) to the entrance of the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave (approx. 15 minutes).
How long does a guided tour in the Mammoth Cave take?
A guided tour lasts about 50 minutes. The tour starts at the entrance of the Mammoth Cave. Please allow 15 to 20 minutes to walk on a gravel path to the cave. We recommend sturdy shoes. The tour goes over an 800 m long path with a height difference of approx. 70 m through steps.
How many degrees are in the caves in Obertraun?
- Dachstein Giant Ice Cave -2°C
- Mammoth cave +3 °C
- Koppenbrüller cave +6 °C
What clothes should I wear in the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave?
We recommend that you wear sturdy shoes and warm clothing.
Is it possible to visit the caves and 5fingers in one day?
If you want to visit the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave, the Mammoth Cave and the 5fingers, you should plan at least 6 hours. This already includes a short break, you certainly want to enjoy the view from the 5fingers.
At what age can children enter the cave?
There is no age limit for children in the caves.
Are dogs allowed on the Dachstein Krippenstein and in the caves?
Dogs are only allowed to travel on the Dachstein Krippenstein cable car with a bite basket and leash. You are also allowed to go into the caves and do the hikes at the Dachstein Krippenstein.
FAQs to the Salt Mines in Hallstatt
How long does a guided tour in the Salt Mine in Hallstatt take?
A guided tour lasts about 70 minutes. We recommend that you allow 2.5 to 3 hours for the entire stay at the Salzberg, including a visit to the Hallstatt Salt Mine, the Skywalk and the World Heritage View.
Can children take part in the guided tour?
Children from the age of 4 can be taken to the salt mine.
What is the temperature in the Salt Mine?
The temperature in the salt mine is about 8 degrees all year round. We strongly recommend that you bring sturdy shoes and warm clothing.
How do I reach the salt mine?
Where can I park?
The closest parking possibility is car park 2 in Hallstatt. We recommend that you take the bus from Obertraun. You can find the travel times and the route on the www.wegfinder.at
Can I see the Skywalk, the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave and the 5fingers in one day?
It is possible to see all three attractions in one day, but not recommended. The Skywalk is located at the Salzberg of Hallstatt. We recommend that you spend half a day there, as you can also enjoy the World Heritage view and a guided tour in the Hallstatt Salt Mine is really fun. The Dachstein Krippenstein, where the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave can be found, also offers outdoor activities and attractions for an entire day: Dachstein Giant Ice Cave, Mammoth Cave, Nature Adventure Park "Schoenbergalm", World Heritage Spiral, 5fingers, Dachstein Shark, Heilbronn Chapel
If you really want to watch everything in one day, you can do it this way:
- Take the first ascent of the Salzbergbahn Hallstatt at 9 a.m.
- Panoramic lift and skywalk continue to the restaurant and the World Heritage Site view.
- Take the next descent of the Salzbergbahn, then you will be back at the bus station at about 10:30 a.m.
- Take the bus to Obertraun to the Dachstein Krippenstein cable car (find your way).
- Ascent with the cable car at approx. 11 a.m. (duration approx. 20 minutes)
- Hike, stay and return from the 5fingers approx. 1.5 hours
- Lunch at the Dachstein Krippenstein until approx. 2 p.m.
- Descent to the Schönbergalm and hike to the entrance of the Dachstein Giant Ice Cave (approx. 30 minutes)
- Cave tour approx. 50 minutes
- Hike back to the cable car station approx. 20 minutes
- Last descent from the summit of the Dachstein Krippenstein at 5 p.m.
FAQ Obertraun in general
Can you swim in Obertraun?
Yes, there is a lido in Obertraun, which is one of the most beautiful and well-maintained bathing facilities around Lake Hallstatt. A wide range of leisure activities rounds off the experience perfectly for the whole family.
Where are there public toilets?
- At the train station Obertraun Dachsteinhöhlen
- Obertraun municipal office
- At the Koppenbrüller cave
- At the Winkl bathing area (not open in winter)
- At the Obertraun festival area (not open in winter)
- At the Obertraun lido (not open in winter)
- At the dog bathing area in Obertraun
Where can you go to eat in Obertraun?
In the valley:
- Inn Koppenrast
- Gasthof Höllwirt
- Restaurant in the Dormio Resort
- Pizzeria bowling alley
- Kurt's Mammut Express (only in summer)
- Seecafé Obertraun (only in summer)
On the mountain:
- Dachstein Krippenstein mountain restaurant
- Lodge on the Krippenstein
- Adventure restaurant Schönbergalm (only in summer)
- Gjaid Alm
- Dachstein cable car valley buffet
What is the Salzkammergut Card?
The Salzkammergut Adventure Card is the advantage card of the Salzkammergut region, which includes the Holiday Region Dachstein Salzkammergut. As our guest you receive the advantage card free of charge from 3 overnight stays or you can buy it for € 4.90 for your stay at our tourist office Gosau or also in all other tourist offices of the region.
With the Salzkammergut Erlebnis-Card you get up to 25% on many attractions, sights and leisure activities in the whole Salzkammergut. An overview of all partners of the Salzkammergut Adventure Card.