Surrounded by a vast mountain panorama and situated on the shores of Lake Hallstatt, Bad Goisern charms its visitors with its historic village centre, pretty houses decorated with flowers, beautiful landscape and many attractive squares. “Goisern“, thanks to its good infrastructure, is a popular holiday destination for those seeking rest and relaxation. Goisern is a popular health/spa resort and is an ideal base for exploring the natural surroundings of the UNESCO World Heritage Region. Other attractions include the traditional artists’ studio (Hand.Werk.Haus) as well as the numerous cultural and musical events which take place throughout the year.
- The World Heritage Community Bad Goisern has 7590 inhabitants, is situated on the northern shore of Lake Hallstatt and covers an area of 8.55 square kilometres.
- Services and facilities include 4 railway stations (Bad Goisern-Jodschwefelbad, Bad Goisern, Steeg-Gosau, Obersee)
- The traditional “Goiserer” (male inhabitant of Goisern) dresses in a short green jacket, hard-wearing shoes manufactured in Goisern, a hat with a tuft of chamoix hair, mountain boots, leather trousers, a checked shirt, a gilet, and carries walking poles and wood cutting tools
- A typical “Goiserin” (female inhabitant of Goisern) wears a dirndl dress or a skirt with apron
In the past
- A document dating back to the 13th century refers to a settlement called “Gebisharn” - today Bad Goisern. The old word “Gebsern” means “wooden dish manufacturer” and reminds us today of the time-honoured wood working tradition
- Violins were being manufactures in Bad Goisern as far back as 1735, and the area is still renowned for violin and accordion music today
- The Goiserer Bergschuh (Goisern Walking Boot), the “sturdy shoe”, has been made to measure here since the 19th century
- Goisern is a popular spa/health resort. The fluoride-containing sulphur healing sources were discovered by chance in 1931 whilst drilling for salt
- Start and finish of the Salzkammergut Mountainbike
The Top 5 Highlights
Tip for Bad Goisern visitors
Try our delicious, local cuisine (such as “Holzknechtnockn” – wood workers’ dumplings – mountain chamoix or char after a long summer’s day out touring by mountain bike or E bike, or after a day out skiing in winter.
Experience the Holiday Region Dachstein Salzkammergut
Enjoy the summer in our four villages. Let yourself be enchanted by themountain and lake scenery. (E-)mountain bike routes, gravel bike routes, hiking trails are just waiting to be tackled by you. Take a break in our huts & mountain pastures. Enjoy the cheese noodles and the Kaiserschmarrn. Then cool off in Lake Hallstatt or Lake Gosau. Immerse yourself in tradition and customs and visit the numerous events in the region. Experience culture and history at the excursion destinations. A holiday in the Inner Salzkammergut - a holiday just as you imagine it.
FAQs Bad Goisern at Lake Hallstatt
What are the must-sees in Bad Goisern?
There's so much to see! In any case we recommend:
- The "Hand.Werk.Haus" is located in the centre opposite the market square. There, local companies exhibit their handicrafts and you can buy regional products in the shop.
- Our "Goiserer" museums: The local history and heritage museum, woodcutter museumand the "Anzenaumühle" (the mill is only open in the summer months).
- In "Senferei AnnaMax"you will learn everything about the history of mustard and can also taste over 20 different types of mustard, including the famous and delicious mustard caviar.
- The eternal wall ("Ewige Wand") is unmissable in Bad Goisern and must be seen from close up. The Eternal Wall can be reached on foot from the Rathlucken Hut in 30 minutes via the Legend Trail.
Find more "Goiserer" highlights here.
Where can I eat in Bad Goisern?
You find real Goiserer delicacies here:
- in the center: Restaurant Hotel Moserwirt, Hotel Goisererhof, Hotel Goiserer Mühle, Pizzeria Peppone, Pizzeria Romana
- by car: Steegwirt, Restaurant Zur Post, Landhotel Agathawirt, Haller Alm (mountain pasture), Haikky, Weißenbachwirt
- on a hike or bike ride: Uferwirt Seeraunzen, Hütteneckalm (mountain pasture), Rathlucken hut, Goiserer hut
More informations and the opening hours of the restaurants.
Where do I find a pharmacy in Bad Goisern?
We have two pharmacies in Bad Goisern:
- The pharmacy "Edelweiss" on the opposite of the supermarket "Unimarkt".
- The pharmacy at the "Baumhaus" on the opposite of the supermarket "Penny Markt" next to the federal road in direction to Bad Ischl on the left side, in direction to Gosau on the right side.
A list of the pharmacy emergency services and the doctor emergency services in Bad Goisern. In Austria, we also have a family doctor emergency service for acute cases, which you can reach under the number 141 or +43 662 141.
How can I reach Bad Goisern by public transport?
You can reach Bad Goisern by bus, train or boat (from Obertraun or Hallstatt). Our four train stations make it possible for you to reach almost every part of town by train, the bus then takes you on to Gosau, Hallstatt, Obertraun or Bad Ischl.
- The railway station Jodschwefelbad (no regular stop) is located at the beginning of Bad Goisern.
- Bad Goisern railway station is located in the centre with bus connections to Gosau, Hallstatt, Obertraun and Bad Ischl.
- The railway station Steeg-Gosau (with bus connection to Gosau, Hallstatt & Obertraun) is located in the district Steeg, not far from the Steegwirt.
- Obersee railway station is not far from the shores of Lake Hallstatt and Uferwirt Seeraunzn.
Where do I find an ATM in Bad Goisern?
Directly in the centre of Bad Goisern we have a "Sparkasse", a "Volksbank" and a "Raiffeisenbank", where you can also find an ATM.
Where do I get a fishing licence and where can I fish?
In Bad Goisern you can do fly fishing and also sport fishing:
- Fly fishing in the Mühlbach in Bad Goisern
- Fishing in the Goiserer river Traun
- Fishing in Lake Hallstatt
Where can I rent e-bikes, e-MTB or mountain bikes?
Which mountain bike tours can you recommend?
From Bad Goisern, many MTB tours and e-bike tours start along lakes and up the mountains (and then down again). You can also take a closer look at the bike routes in the 3D fatmap and plan your MTB day. Here is a small excerpt of the mountain bike tours:
- Blaa Alm mountain biking trail, approx. 40 km, 1 100 hm
- Weißenbachrunde, approx. 20 km, 600 hm
- Culinary round, approx. 26 km, 900 hm
- Salzkammergut Trophy training track, approx. 21 km, 700 hm
Which hikes can you recommend?
Where should we start and where should we stop? We offer many beautiful hikes, from easy to difficult, from panorama hikes to hut hikes, along Lake Hallstatt or to our most beautiful peaks. Take a look at the Dachstein Salzkammergut fatmap in advance.
- Mountain and fairytale trail, approx. 1 hour
- East bank hiking trail to Obertraun, 11 km, approx. 3 hours
- High Kalmberg und Goiserer hut, 4,9 km, approx. 4 hours
How do I get to the eternall wall ("Ewigen Wand")?
The eternall wall ("Ewige Wand") can be reached in various ways and offers something for everyone. Starting with the mountain and fairytale trail, which leads the whole family from the Rathlücken hut to the "Ewige Wand" in approx. 30 minutes. Further hikes to the "Blaschekwarte" or to the Predigstuhl also lead past the Eternal Wall.
With the bike it goes on the Salzkammergut Trophy training track G through the eternal wall ("Ewige Wand" ).
Can I cycle all around Lake Hallstatt?
Yes you can cycle all around (east bank bike trail). But you have to keep in mind that you have to cycle back from Hallstatt to Bad Goisern on a heavily frequented main road. We recommend that you take the round via Obertraun to Hallstatt and then take the boat from Hallstatt to Hallstatt station and go back again by bike or train to Bad Goisern. Especially for families we recommend to avoid the main road completely, because it is too dangerous for the children!
Can I go skiing or snowboarding in Bad Goisern?
There are no more ski lifts directly in Bad Goisern, but it is an ideal starting point for your skiing holiday, because within 30 minutes you are at the same time at two skiing areas:
- Ski area Dachstein West - The family ski area in Gosau with a view of the Gosaukamm. Take a look at all the slopes and lifts on the Dachstein Salzkammergut fatmap in advance.
- Ski area Dachstein Krippenstein - The Freesports Arena in Obertraun for freeriders, ski tourers and snow-shoe hikers with a view of the Dachstein. Take a look at all the slopes and lifts on the Dachstein Salzkammergut fatmap in advance.
The ski areas can be reached by car, but also by ski bus.
Are there also winter hiking trails in Bad Goisern?
Yes, there are! Even in winter our hikers don't miss out. Here is a list of our winter hiking trails:
- Traunreiter pathto Weißenbach (depending on snow conditions further to Bad Ischl), approx. 1 hour
- Theme trail "Tales of Goisern" through Bad Goisern, approx. 1.5 hours
- East bank hiking trail to Uferwirt Seeraunzn, approx. 2 hours
Can I do a ski tour in Bad Goisern?
Of course. Here are some ski tours:
- Ski tour to the Hütteneckalm, approx. 3 hours
- Ski tour to the Goiserer hut (from Gosau), approx. 3.5 hours
- Ski tour to the Heilbronn cross (from the Dachstein Krippenstein), approx. 5 hours
- Dachstein crossing, approx. 6 hours
As you surely know, ski touring is not safe. Please never go on a ski tour alone and pay attention to weather and snow conditions. We recommend that you book a ski guide that knows the terrain and conditions exactly.
Where can I cross-country ski in Bad Goisern?
Cross-country skiing is very popular with the locals. We have a high-altitude cross-country skiing centre (Höhenloipe Predigstuhl) at the Predigstuhl, from where a network of cross-country trails with a wide variety of cross-country trails starts. Starting from the family cross-country trail with 2.1 km, over the 5.5 km long "Roßmoosalm" round to the "Murenschleife" with a length of 8.3 km, the centre offers a lot of variety. In the valley you can cross-country ski on the easy St. Agatha track or on the medium Ramsau track.
You can find the exact cross-country trail information in our cross-country trail overview.
Can I go tobagganning with my friends in Bad Goisern?
In Bad Goisern, toboggan world champions grow up who train where you can also toboggan - namely on the Trockentann toboggan run. The toboggans can be borrowed directly from the toboggan run and must also be dragged along until the start (approx. 30-minute ascent). Here you deserve the fun. After a drink and perhaps a snack at the toboggan hut, it's downhill. We recommend that you take the normal medium-difficulty route, as the training route is only for advanced tobogganers. Find out from the tourist office in Bad Goisern whether the toboggan run is open before the toboggan run.
How do I get from Bad Goisern to Hallstatt?
Many roads lead to Hallstatt. You can travel by bus (change at "Gosaumühle") or by train and boat. For your travel planning we recommend wegfinder. If you prefer to arrive on foot or by bike, then simply follow the east bank hiking and biking trail. Of course you can also reach Hallstatt by car, but we advise against this, as the parking lots are full very quickly. Here we have a video in which it is explained how to get to Hallstatt.
How do I get from Bad Goisern to Bad Ischl?
Bad Ischl is the nearest town. As the residence of Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Sissi, it is known for its pompous villas. If you want to make an excursion to Bad Ischl, we recommend that you visit the Kaiservilla. A walk through the city, as well as a visit to the k.u.k Hofbäckerei Zauner a must-do. You can reach Bad Ischl on foot via the Traunreiterweg and continue on the R2 to Bad Ischl. Trains and buses leave hourly from Bad Goisern to Bad Ischl.
What is the Salzkammergut Card?
The Salzkammergut Adventure Card is the advantage card of the Salzkammergut region, which includes the Holiday Region Dachstein Salzkammergut. As our guest you receive the advantage card free of charge from 3 overnight stays or you can buy it for € 4.90 for your stay at our tourist office Gosau or also in all other tourist offices of the region.
With the Salzkammergut Erlebnis-Card you get up to 25% on many attractions, sights and leisure activities in the whole Salzkammergut. An overview of all partners of the Salzkammergut Adventure Card.